A Wilson Times Co. publication · Serving Southern Nash County Since 1947

Mobile home survives Sunday cooking fire

Thank you for being one of our most loyal readers. Please consider supporting community journalism by subscribing.

Posted

BAILEY — Family members are counting their blessings after a Sunday evening fire at their mobile home on Camp Charles Road was contained to what was described as minor damage in the kitchen area.

“The resident had put a pan of grease on the stove to cook supper and went to the restroom,” said Bailey Fire Chief Tim Wilson.“When she returned, the pan was on fire, so she did the correct thing and called 911.”

Though smoke could be seen coming from multiple windows and the front door, Wilson said the damage was contained to a small area in the kitchen.

“Once we got the smoke out of the house, the only real damage was to the wall and cabinet at the stove, which is almost unheard of with a trailer fire,” Wilson said. “There is probably only around $1,000 worth of damage.”

Wilson credits his department’s quick response time to the incident as the reason the damage was minimal.

“Trailers typically burn really quick, especially older ones,” Wilson said. “In this case, it helped that it was a Sunday and there were a bunch of guys hanging out at the station. We were actually on-scene pulling the first lines to the house when the other departments were checking en route. That three to four minutes taken off the response time of driving to the fire station made all the difference in the world for this house.”

No injuries were reported in the fire. The Bailey, Middlesex and Ferrells fire departments responded to the fire, as did Nash County Emergency Services and the Nash County Sheriff’s Office.

Comments