Thank you for being one of our most loyal readers. Please consider supporting community journalism by subscribing.
It was an exciting Sunday at Peachtree Baptist Church.
Sunday’s large sanctuary poinsettia arrangement was presented to glorify God by Bobby Bunn and I in celebration of the birth of our Lord Jesus Christ.
Jerry Hobgood welcomed the Sunday School gathering and led the song, “Angels From the Realms of Glory.”
He then read, “The Beautiful Word For Christmas,” from “Illustrated NIV Bible Verses And Devotions.”
Lawrence Edwards led the Median Sunday school class Bible study. This was the fourth in a series of six sessions on “Answers to Tough Questions: Defending What You Believe.” This week’s lesson was ”Is Jesus God? Everything about Jesus’ birth points to His divinity,” from Luke 1:26-34.
In this study, Lawrence continued in another one of the most meaningful lessons written.
“Teenagers are not known for always making good decisions. After questionable behavior, a parent would ask, ‘What were you thinking?’
“Their usual response was, ‘I don’t know.’ That’s a valid answer from a teenager! The adolescent brain is still developing. But that doesn’t mean teenagers are incapable of good decisions.
“In these verses, Mary was a young person who faced a huge decision. When she heard a life-changing announcement, she could have doubted or rejected, but she chose to accept God’s mission. It falls on us now to decide: Do we accept the miraculous birth of the Son of God, or do we take a more skeptical approach? Is Jesus really God?”
Special music: Jane May preformed a piano solo. The Peachtree Baptist Church Adult Sanctuary Choir sang the special music.
The fourth Advent candle, the candle of peace, was lit.
Verse of the month: Colossians 3:15
• Monday, Dec. 31 — New Year’s Eve fellowship, 6-9 p.m.
• Tuesday, Jan. 7 — Women’s book study, 10 a.m. WMU meeting to follow.
• Wednesday, Jan. 8 — Women’s evening book study, 7 p.m.
• Thursday, Jan. 16 — Men’s Ministry meeting, 6:30 p.m.
• Bobby Bunn and I attended the West Mount Ruritans’ annual Christmas dinner for their members and volunteers. The Ruritan national president-elect installed club officers. The club held its annual Christmas dinner for members and volunteers, and awards were presented.
• Peachtree served its day at Faith Christian Ministries.
• Some Peachtree members attend dinner at the Southland Restaurant in Zebulon.
• A number of Peachtree members attended the Spook Joyner Rudy Theater Christmas Show in Smithfield. They went to dinner at The Meadow Restaurant and then saw Christmas lights at Meadows. Wonderful fellowship.
PRAYERS AND BLESSINGS
• To all those sick and in need.
• Norman Whitley, Ralph Sykes and Nancy Sears all need our prayers.
• Please don’t forget to visit the people in the nursing homes in your area.
• Please remember those people all alone during the Christmas holidays and at other times.
• Birthday blessings to Rosetta Bunn (Dec. 31).
If you have news, please call or email me. It can’t printed if I don’t know about it. I do prefer an email. My email address is firstname.lastname@example.org. My phone number is 252-478-2846. You may leave a message.
Fran Bunn is a member of Peachtree Baptist Church.