A Wilson Times Co. publication · Serving Southern Nash County Since 1947

Health department lifts restaurant suspension

Thank you for being one of our most loyal readers. Please consider supporting community journalism by subscribing.

Posted

NASHVILLE — The food permit suspension of a popular local barbecue restaurant has been lifted after testing proved negative for salmonella, which was found at the establishment last month.

Doug Sauls’ Bar-B-Que & Seafood remained closed for about a month for cleaning. The county health department and the N.C. Department of Agriculture conducted environmental test swabbing Dec. 16 to determine if the Salmonella London contamination still lingered after the restaurant owners completed extensive cleaning and renovation, Nash County Health Director Bill Hill said in a Friday press release.

“We are happy to see that Doug Sauls’ has created the appropriate safety protocols that protect health and prevent disease,” Hill said. “This outbreak investigation demonstrates the power of partnership from state and local agencies and willing restaurant owners to identify and make necessary corrections in order to safeguard patrons.”

Previously contaminated areas included the food preparation area, equipment and barbecue cooking area.

The permit was restored Thursday after laboratory results concluded that no remnants of the salmonella outbreak remained.

For more information contact the Nash County Health Department at 252-459-9819.

Comments